At BrightBiz, we talk a lot about sales culture. But, what does this mean exactly? What does a great sales culture look like? What does it feel like to be part of? And why does it matter?
If you’ve seen The Wolf of Wall Street, you get both the wrong and the right idea. Great sales cultures should be celebratory and fun with lots of zany energy. Rewards for sales are absolutely powerful incentives, and definitely have their place. But unlike the film, great sales cultures need to be ethical too. Otherwise, they eventually go the way of the Wolf.
Xerox was my first introduction to great sales culture. If you’re trying to establish one in your company, learn from Xerox. They know how to do it right.
Xerox invested in me from the very start. I received six-weeks of sales and product training that ultimately launched my career in this business. The training gave me the foundation I needed, and showed that Xerox cared about my professional success.
The 300+ employees hugely respected, appreciated and valued the sales team and our process. Why? Because everyone understood that ultimately we generate the cash to pay the bills and make the company grow. And we couldn’t do it alone. We needed everyone pulling for us, and everyone did.
Xerox rewards people – and well – who meet their targets, especially the over achievers like me ☺. On top of the bonuses and awards, the experiences I had celebrating my team’s success and my own achievements were some of the highlights of my life. Let me explain.
- Certificates: each time you out-perform as a sales team or individually, you get a certificate. I still have all mine.
- VIP parking place: if you are #1 in the 100% Club (those who reached 100% of their sales target per quarter), you get a VIP parking place in your name in front of Xerox.
- Huge poster: the top sales person of the quarter gets an immense poster in the office so everyone knows about their achievements.
- Bonuses: 70% of salaries are fixed. The remaining 30% is dependent on performance. This “bonus” model means that the more you sell, the more you earn. And once you go beyond the sales target, the bonus gets even better. Success was mine to earn, and I was hungry for it.
- Accelerators: sales made during special times of the year, could “accelerate” your bonus by two to three times.
- Bets: you could make a bet with your general manager for extra bonuses if you closed extra deals.
- Trips: You could win amazing luxury trips. I won seven in total to Argentina, Uruguay, Vietnam, Tunisia, Costa Rica, India, Roma, Tanzania and Zanzibar. Each time I stayed in the best luxury hotels and ate at the best restaurants.
- Restaurants: if you reach 100% of your sales target, the general manager takes you to a Michelin starred restaurant for lunch. When I left the office for a five-course gastronomical meal, my colleagues looked on with envy and worked even harder for their chance at a Michelin lunch.
- Luxury gifts: Xerox gives all sorts of amazing luxury gifts to people who hit their sales targets. I received a Breitling watch that I still wear with pride today.
- Music & Champagne: each time someone reaches a certain sales target, music plays throughout the whole building. And then the sales manager opens champagne to celebrate with the whole team.
Although I’m no longer with Xerox, when I meet another “brother in sales” there’s an immediate bond. We connect over our shared experience that people in other professions can almost never comprehend.
If you’re an entrepreneur just starting out or a senior executive, think about the sales culture at your company. Does a culture even exist? If not, we’re here to help you develop it.